Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Homemade Mixed Berry Yoghurt


I'm a bit obsessed with homemade yoghurt lately. I'll write another post on making the actual yoghurt later as I am about to experiment with a few new techniques, but I thought I'd share how I flavour the yoghurt.

I add a tablespoon of water, 2 tablespoons of castor sugar and about 300g of frozen berries to a saucepan then cook it on high, stirring, until the liquid starts to bubble, then lower the heat a little, and continue stirring until the liquid is syrupy. Once it's done, I pour the berries into an icecube tray and after it's cooled, chuck it in the freezer. I store the frozen cubes in ziplock bags and then just add a cube to each serve of yoghurt. At the moment I add the cubes when I make the yoghurt and mix it in properly before eating, but when Charlotte starts school I think I will keep the yoghurt plain until I pack her lunch in the morning, that way the frozen cube will help keep the yoghurt cool in her lunchbox, but should be thawed out by recess time.

The whole process only takes about 10 minutes (including cleaning the pan) to make enough for 2 batches of yoghurt and I think it's worth it to have yoghurt that isn't full of preservatives and fake flavourings (so much more delicious too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Muse away